Promo Snobs -critical eyes on the promotions world

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Boldy Suck

Why do I hate Volvo's Win a Trip to Space promotion?

First, I don't think it's envy. (That's why I hate Snapple's Snaffle and Heinz's Ketchup Label thing.) I think it rubs me so wrong for the following reasons:

1. What's it got to do a with the product? It's real stretch here. A V8 SUV and flying into space. Umm...I'm thinking here. Ok, I give up.

2. The car's name sucks. I loved the Volvo brand. The safe car. Now they are trying to be the hip, fast, powerful safe car. I think they should have kept making it safer. If it was a like driving a bunker, I wouldn't card if it kept my family alive. Back to the name: Cross Country, nice. XC90 V8, sucky.

3. A trip to M'F'ing space. That's the single most common idea whenever someone says, "The client wants a huge idea--don't be limited by budgets (yeah, right) and just give us the biggest idea you can." Some AE throws out, "How about a trip to space? I mean, why not?" It's a prize everyone has wanted to give away since the invention of space travel -- and probably before then.

So then, maybe the real reason that I don't like it is that it didn't so much as make a ripple. No one talked about it. The biggest trump card in promotions (actually second to Pepsi's Billion Dollars) didn't make a blip on the screen. No buzz. No watercooler chit chat. And that sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home